homestead - Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?

  • From: "WF Smith" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 21:36:03 -0400

I designed and built this place when I was a divorced man with two young
sons. Since remarrying I've been reminded frequently how woefully inadequate
the bedroom closet spaces are, and how bad it is that we don't have a master
bathroom. Surprisingly enough, my bachelors kitchen passed muster. I call it
a galley kitchen but it's more a cross between a pullman kitchen and a
galley kitchen. We like it because virtually everything is within arms
reach, either by reaching side to side or simply turning around to use the
surface or appliance behind you. I added a large granite-topped island where
I'd intended a small table and chairs and it really improved the usability
of the space, as the island top has an overhang on the far side with three
barstools. Some of my fondest memories are of the kids lined up there in the
mornings eating pancakes and bacon as fast as we could produce them. Many
mornings they slurped milk out of their cold cereal there, too.

A lot of dough's been rolled on that granite slab, as well as too much good
wine spilled.

I guess I'm writing all that to say this: make sure you have a space for the
people you love to congregate and laugh, supervise, cry, complain and learn
in your new kitchen.

Warren