homestead - Re: [Homestead] Two ranchers get together to chat

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Two ranchers get together to chat
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 12:14:07 -0700

I listen to the praises of electric cars and why didn't we develop and
manufacture them decades ago.
We did. In the early 1900s when automobiles where just becoming available for more people, companies like Detroit Electric produced thousands of electric cars and trucks. The electric was much more reliable and easier to operate than the gasoline engine automobiles. But as gasoline engines became more reliable and the electric starter became more available, electrics lost popularity and have mostly faded from the scene.

Some day maybe the nut will crack and we will look at some other solution
rather than just another way to leap into the saddle and go where we will.
Most of what you read is based on maintaining the current system. Just replace the trip to the gas pump with a nightly charge and we can all continue running around as we see fit. What is needed is a complete change in the way we do things. Rather than jetting back and forth across the country, more business needs to be done locally and remotely. Rather than long distance personal auto trips we need to revitalize our rail and mass transit systems. Rather than food being shipped from half way around the world we need to eat locally and seasonally. Many changes needed but few are addressing them.

Don Bowen KI6DIU