homestead - Re: [Homestead] Two ranchers get together to chat

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Two ranchers get together to chat
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 14:18:44 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/2008 11:00:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
k1lky AT earthlink.net writes:

> Surely, in
> > the last 15 to 20 years something better has been invented.
>
> The most recent issue of Technology Review, the public-oriented
> journal of MIT, has an article about a battery company. The article
> is quite encouraging.

------------------------

I listen to the praises of electric cars and why didn't we develop and
manufacture them decades ago.

People seem to think that instead of pumping gas every few days and handing
over $60 to the service station, all we'd have to do is plug in the cars much
like we recharge our cell phones and iPods.

The gist of my point is this, if we replaced all the current gasoline cars
with plug-in electric cars, the electricity to replace the gasoline just used
in
personal commutting would require another electric grid as large as the one
in place now.

That is, the energy to run those cars has to come from somewhere and if we
are not buring the oil in our cars, we will be burning the oil or coal in the
generating plants.

No, solar and wind won't hack it.

Some day maybe the nut will crack and we will look at some other solution
rather than just another way to leap into the saddle and go where we will.

Maybe.

James </HTML>