homestead - Re: [Homestead] Two ranchers get together to chat

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Two ranchers get together to chat
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 21:39:32 -0400

On May 18, 2008, at 2:18 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
k1lky AT earthlink.net writes:
The most recent issue of Technology Review, the public-oriented
journal of MIT, has an article about a battery company. The article
is quite encouraging. ...

The gist of my point is this, if we replaced all the current gasoline cars
with plug-in electric cars, the electricity to replace the gasoline just used in
personal commutting would require another electric grid as large as the one
in place now.

I won't go looking for the energy economics analysis for that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Some day maybe the nut will crack and we will look at some other solution
rather than just another way to leap into the saddle and go where we will.

I moved to the town I grew up in in 1950. Things were about the same as they'd been for the previous hundred years or more, (except for cars). From my house, you could walk to:
- the high school
- one of the one-room school houses in use for the elementary grades
- a general store (ice cream, boots, bolts, ammunition, and tractor repair etc.)
- the library
- the post office
- places to fish
- lots of dairy cow pastures.

The things you can walk to now are the library, the post office and places to fish.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180