homestead - Re: [Homestead] Two ranchers get together to chat

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Two ranchers get together to chat
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 13:05:28 -0800

O.K., all you mechanically/electrical engineering type/inclined folks. How come they can't use the wheels of a vehicle to generate electricity to replace the electricity used? Kinda make the hubs the equivalent of he-man sized alternator/generator type thingys? Why is it that they have to drive and then "fill up"?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

I listen to the praises of electric cars and why didn't we develop and
manufacture them decades ago.

People seem to think that instead of pumping gas every few days and handing
over $60 to the service station, all we'd have to do is plug in the cars much
like we recharge our cell phones and iPods.

The gist of my point is this, if we replaced all the current gasoline cars
with plug-in electric cars, the electricity to replace the gasoline just used in
personal commutting would require another electric grid as large as the one
in place now.

That is, the energy to run those cars has to come from somewhere and if we
are not buring the oil in our cars, we will be burning the oil or coal in the
generating plants.

No, solar and wind won't hack it.

Some day maybe the nut will crack and we will look at some other solution
rather than just another way to leap into the saddle and go where we will.

Maybe.

James </HTML>