homestead - [Homestead] book restoration

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] book restoration
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 22:03:35 -0400

My sister just gave me the following book:
_The Boston Cooking School Cook Book_, by Fannie Merritt Farmer, 1909

It belonged to my birthmother, and before her, her surrogate mother (my grandmother died very young so my birthmother was raised by Aunt Leo(la), a distant relative. It is in very rough shape. The book's pages are rice paper thin and are falling apart. The spine of the book is coming apart and the cloth binding is very worn. I know that Lynda? posted a link from Alaska about bookbinding, but is there anyone here who restores old books? I seem to recall that at one time there was a gentleman from Alabama who did this??
I also received a book called _The Book of Games for Home, School, and Playground_ by Forbush and Allen from 1927. It belonged to my birthmother, too. It is in very good shape, and I thought I would mention it in case anyone wants me to look up anything. There is some really cool stuff in there-old fashioned games and songs-activities-for kids of all ages. The mentality is like mine, too, for example, it talks about skipping rope for exercise (not really play) and lists a few rhymes and skipping 'songs'. It's great stuff.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky