homestead - Re: [Homestead] Free to good home

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Free to good home
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:04:15 -0500

On Apr 20, 2008, at 2:48 PM, WF Smith wrote:

Lariope, monkeygrass, or lilyturf if you prefer.

Free by the truckload. I will even dig and load it for ladies. I'll throw in
a purple leaf plum tree sprig as well.

I've over 25 yrs experience with this strain, as we dug up a few shoots at
my grandmothers in the 80's and planted them at my mothers. Later my
brothers showed up and dumped a pickup bed of it alongside my driveway where
it stayed for a year until we got around to planting it as borders. Now I've
had my fill of it.

I will unconditionally guarantee this will survive global warming and a
nuclear winter.

This site says it is good to Zone 6 but does better further south:

Plant of the Week
Liriope, Lilyturf
Latin: Liriope muscari

Few plants epitomize the Southern landscape more than the southern magnolia, crapemyrtle and Liriope. Even before Southern Living magazine became the style guide for the quintessential "Southern look", Liriope was popular. We see it everywhere -- here as a groundcover, there bordering a walkway and over yonder edging a flower bed. Southern gardeners just can’t get enough of this tough, reliable plant.

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Liriope.htm