homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:25:23 -0500

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:
> That is the problem, no earthquake preparedness, either in buildings OR in
> response.

Resources being finite, people and their governments (well maybe not
our federal one these days) tend to prepare for events that are likely
to happen. If we all prepared for catastrophes that occur every four
or five hundred years, we wouldn't have money left over for much else.

> Out here, all the native Californians know what to do, do panic and in most
> cities there are several volunteer groups ready to jump into action.

I'd like to see all the Californians I know who have been
poo-pooing our little earthquake and explaining how they are ready for
theirs face a nice Midwestern tornado, or even a decent size
thunderstorm <grump, grump, grump>. Here in the Midwest, when the
sirens go off people know enough to go for cover, and most of them
have a safe place to go. Whole towns have been scrubbed off the face
of the planet with only a small number of fatalities.

I believe it's called adapting to your environment.

Marie