homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shake, rattle and roll
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:41:33 -0500

On Apr 19, 2008, at 8:25 AM, Marie McHarry wrote:

I believe it's called adapting to your environment.

Yeah, the earthquake/tornado comparison debate has been going on for a long time. All locals live with their own reality and have little visceral understanding of foreign threats. Having lived in California and the Midwest for roughly equal terms I have a feeling for the comparative threat. Tornadoes are more frequent. Tornadoes are far easier to protect one's body from. Most structural damage is to mobile homes and modestly attached facades. The worst tornadoes are small potatoes compared to the worst earthquakes. Seeing sections of major freeways rendered asunder by the Northridge quake showed there is little protection near an epicenter.

Btw, there are only three areas in this country with no records of earthquakes, all bordering The Gulf of Mexico. All three are subject to severe hurricane damage, with the exception of central Texas.

As with most of life, it is a question of choices. Make your choice and live with the results. You are in charge.