homestead - Re: [Homestead] On work horses

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On work horses
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:48:28 -0400

Well, I don't know as I agree with you. I've seen Connemaras hauling loaded carts of peat out of marshy bogs. They pull like nobody's business, for their size.

Re the grade v papered thing, again, I disagree. Yes, certain breeds are better for some things than others. You want to jump, I have a Hanoverian who asks me, "How high?" Sure, it's what he was born to do. But , he also came with a price tag.
For a nice, calm, quiet, gentle workaday beast, I don't see anything wrong with telling him to avoid the papered "Porsche" and go right to the Taurus. Why spend $$ for something with papers he's never going to need?

It isn't really a mystery package provided you have someone knowledgeable to help you.

I wouldn't buy a modern day QH if I could help it. I've paid for far too many sets of bar shoes and isoxsuprine to keep the little darlings sound enough to trot their kids around. It's inhumane and not worth it and I always tried to shed them as fast as I got them in the barn. Between wobblers and the feet and everything else, modern day QH's have been tinkered with like the poor German Shepherd dog, their original purpose completely bred out to provide something "pretty", as have most American breeds, have you taken a look at what they do to Saddlebreds recently?

Celia