homestead - Re: [Homestead] housecleaning

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] housecleaning
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:33:59 -0800

Prison fences <g> Electric. Unless you have tons of area, I wouldn't use barbed if your goats are milking goats. they have an inclination to quickly learn how to climb through barbed wire.

My preference, around here, is 3 strands of high tensile wire with 2400 pound test. That keeps the STUPID deer from breaking through and seems to discourage bear, coyote and mountain lions from coming in. My neighbors all have field fencing and one has regular hot wire. They all have problems with "the forest" getting in to have dinner on their sheep, goats, cattle and horses. We don't.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Warren" <mogrits AT gmail.com>

What's the best fence to contain goats? Electric or barbed wire?