homestead - Re: [Homestead] On work horses

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On work horses
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:58:24 -0400

One of the things my ex-husband and I did during the "off-season" (ie, not foaling out) was break race horses. One time some guy brought us a little QH he wanted to use as a track pony. Where doing a good, kind, long-lasting job in a Thoroughbred could take a month, about two days after this QH showed up I tacked him up and rode him down the driveway. Bliss. If they were all that easy, I'd still be doing it.

Why wouldn't you use a Connemara in harness? I've seen them drive, they are fabulous. They might not be able to do as much as a big horse, but I think they are on a par with any other horse their size.

The other thing I meant to say earlier but didn't was that buying *anything* based on a pedigree might be a real waste. There are tonnes and tonnes of nice workaday horses to be had for cheap. Just like a mutt can be the best dog ever...so can grade horses. You don't need a specific breed unless you really LOVE the breed, or you want to breed it.

I am currently paying about $3 a mile to ship horses when I need to send something long distance. You might consider the cost of shipping when you are factoring that in, to get something from Carolina to wherever you are might be more expensive than the horse itself. Not to mention shipping something fresh off the beach could be a real challenge. Ooooh boy that could be a real fustercluck.

Celia