homestead - Re: [Homestead] "Old" apple trees - How to identify?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "Old" apple trees - How to identify?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 23:50:57 -0500

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> I understand the if you stick a branch from a willow tree into the
> dirt, it is likely to grow. But it's not that simple for an apple
> tree, right?

Not having done the experiment, I haven't a clue, but it's a cheap
experiment. Stick in the willow and the apple, get some roots from the
apple, stick it in some soil. Voila!

My late lamented mother could grow any damn thing from a stick. I once
took her a Boston fern that had been gorgeous. When she got it, it was
a single, sickly leaf. Literally. The next time I saw it -- less than
6 months later -- it was the fern that ate Boston.

At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that, of all my sisters, I
have the greeniest thumb. This doesn't say much for our heirlooms.

Marie