homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:27:17 -0400

Well, I admire him. I'd love to hear about how you found him if you ever feel like telling the tale. Our Halflinger has the looks but not the heft.
On Apr 8, 2008, at 8:58 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Have you had him long?

Seven years. He's more than 18 hands and weighs 2000 pounds, pure Belgian.
He's an overkill for what we need, but he's here for life, one of the family.
If it were just a farm matter I'd go for a slightly smaller horse, or two
much smaller horses as a team. I rethink that when it's time to haul a log from
the forrest. Then the strength of the old boy is just beyond belief.

This field is so sod free (the green in the picture is heal-all, Venus
looking glass, and mustard, but no sod) that the donkey could have plowed it.

The plow is an old Vulcan #13 that my grandfather used for decades and which
my parents had as a lawn ornament. In the forum on "Rural Heritage" I found a
dozen people who knew how to restore it, no small task since the handles are
different lengths and join at different angles. </HTML>