homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who DO I want?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who DO I want?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:56:12 -0400

Dearest Moon,
Countless numbers of your brethren have felt likewise as many of the
South's original homesteaders were Irish. Sometimes I feel like a fish out of water here, mostly because of my personal religious beliefs and my Finnish genes which cry out for landscapes found further North, but I was definitely born and raised here, and it's Georgia I call home. I think if you are in a landscape similar to what you call home, you would be fairly happy. South Georgia is very flat and agricultural, not to mention hot and buggy. If you were raised in a city up north, or in the rainy and green Pacific NW, or a mountainous area, you would find it harder to be happy there, I would think. But, if you grew up in the farmlands of the Midwest, say Iowa or Illinois, you probably would be fairly happy in South Georgia. Personally, I felt right at home in the Ozarks, as it is very similar to my North Georgia southern Appalachian home. Never been there, but I am sure I would simply LOVE upstate NY and New England for its forested mountains and lakes. The cold might even give my Finn genes a real kick. I know many of my father's kin moved through or settled there-my grandfather himself traveled through Canada and the northern states on his way to the Oregon coast.

So why does Roy not like where you are? VA, WV, MD area would seem good to me. I think you would still have 4 seasons there, no?

Bev

paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:
Eh, it's not unrealistic criteria, we are pretty clear on priorities and wants and musts. No, the real issue is Roy wanting to go North and me feeling like we'd be better off in the South, somewhere. I was really feeling weird about going South, about being an obnoxious Yankee, but our trip to West Virginia last week reminded me there is a lot more to the South than dueling banjos. There is a tradition of hospitality and civility that I had somehow managed to forget, living as I do in what is essentially an extension of Washington, DC, and not the South at all. I reckon if I am an obnoxious Yankee who is open to reeducation I'll be ok. ; )

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky