homestead - Re: [Homestead] What do I want?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What do I want?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:58:40 -0700

On Mar 28, 2008, at 7:28 PM, tom wrote:

I'll second the 'getting it down in writing' part of figuring out
what you want. I'm almost through a PDC while also reading Jacke's
Edible Forest Gardening

Good for you, Tom, on both counts. Forest gardening will take time to become widely accepted but it is a wonderful concept.

as we evolve our development plans for our
place and the importance of goals articulation has really been driven
home. Not only is it important to get things in writing, but go a
step further and phrase it in the present tense in an active voice.
Don't write out a list of "this is what I want." Write out a first
person description of your life as you want it.

Excellent advice. Mind if I steal it?

Sounds goofy, but
the perspective shift can be critical. It was fascinating (and
crucial) when my wife and I recently wrote out our 'goals'
independently then sat down to read each others' statements. On the
whole our goals were very much the same, though the prioritization
was different- it helped us both understand each other better and
align our goals more effectively.

Of all the reasons why people screw up their lives by moving to the wrong place, spousal discord is most obvious. It ranks right up there with moving to the wrong community, where one's social values are in conflict with natives.