homestead - Re: [Homestead] Barbeque Goat

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Barbeque Goat
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:56:05 -0400

Hey all,

Reporting on the goat. It came out great. I killed it Friday night and
kept it in a cooler. Last night I put some garlic, onion, olive oil,
lemon, vinegar in the blender and marinated overnight.

I got it in the barbeque at around 11 and took it off around 5. I have
one of those barrel type barbeques with a smaller barrel off to the
side. I burn wood in a pit and shovel coals into the barbeque. Good
indirect heat.

Before I put it on the grill, I poured a couple of beers over the meat
and used the resulting liquid as a sop. Sopped it with a rag on a
stick every hour or so. That is that.

This goat was small, didn't have hardly a lick of fat on him so there
wasn't anything to remove.

Thanks for the tips, Rob