homestead - [Homestead] PTC 1, from Gene

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] PTC 1, from Gene
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:42:03 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:15:28 -0600
From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org

For those who are happy about the change of power, what do you hope the Democrats will be able to accomplish in the next two years that would
not have been accomplished otherwise?

The change in power was needed to stop the present course. I am most
happy for what Bush and his liberal Republicans will not be able to
accomplish: extending tax breaks while increasing government spending
beyond all previous spending growth, putting us deep into debt.
Masquerading as conservatives, Bush and his fellows have increased
the size of government while simultaneously cutting its income. Now
we all, and our children and grandchildren, get to pay a huge
interest load for an indefinite period. I think Democrats will stop
the tax cuts and address the inequities of the minimum alternative tax.

We have serious challenges. Social Security needs adjustments. The
present condition of Medicare and disease care in toto is shameful
and needs massive work that has been neglected but for a drug subsidy
that helps big pharma most. Democrats will, I believe, make big
pharma bid for government business. I believe they will address
health care on a national level.

Many Democrats elected recently are in fact quite conservative and I
believe they will more seriously address our various serious social
questions while keeping a closer eye on the budget. Most seriously, I
expect them to work and be productive. I believe that many
Republicans who have been frustrated by partisanship and gridlock
will work with the Democrats to do the work of the people rather than
focusing on pandering to special interest groups. I believe we now
have a bipartisan majority that will work for the American people,
not for "the base."