homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Barak Obama

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Barak Obama
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:14:32 -0800

Why? Do you seriously think the rest of the world cares about what happened 1600s, 1700s and 1800s as regards slavery in this country? They all had slavery also.

They don't care what happened in the past. What they are interested in is the here and how. What is happening to THEM right now. What is happening in Iraq, right now!

They want to know how much money they can get out of the U.S. How much "aid" they will get. If something can or will be done about places like Darfur.

They aren't interested in this self-flagulation that so many folks here indulge in.

I'm out of sympathy for all that which should be quite plain from my last statement or was I too circumspect. If so, let me rephrase what I said.

There are FAR more years of slavery, genocide and racism practiced against American Indians. Everyone pussy foots around making sure they are ooooohhhhhh so careful about what they say that might be construed as racist when it comes to black but it is perfectly acceptable to make racist statements against American Indians. They pussy foot around about making anything that might be considered a prejudicial statement against the Jews but lamblast a man over being Mormon and that's o.k. It is o.k. to slam anyone and everyone who is Muslim If someone is gay it is o.k. to make jokes. If someone is [fill in the blank] it is o.k. but heaven forbid if someone says something that just might vaguely be considered racist/prejudicial when it comes to blacks and Jews. HELLO, it isn't a black and white issue. And it isn't always and only about the Jews.

Until the rules apply across the board, I'm really not interested in the supposed "soul cleansing."

BTW, "we" haven't done anything. Individuals did things and some things were done by the government or allowed by the government. Last time I looked, my family didn't do any of those things and, in fact, was on the receiving end. I have absolutely no intention of wearing a hair shirt because of the acts of others!

I could have sat on the Rez or stayed in the ghetto and whined and held my hand out of welfare. I didn't! I own my land because I worked for it. I did all the "in" things and bought the big screen t.v. and the fancy boat and the fancy new cars and all that. DH and I worked and earned those things. No one gave us anything.

So, no, I'm not arguing about what *some* have done. I'm arguing against the hair shirt. Find me a single living person who was a slave and I'd be happy to have some reparations made to THEM! Otherwise, everyone's on their own and needs to get over it!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

I think electing Barak Obama has the capacity to send a message to the
rest of the world that what we have done is not right, and we are
going to try to change it, even though our wheels are grinding much
too slowly, especially when compared to Bush McLight.

We aren't going to argue that what we've done is ok, are you? Because
I don't want to have that discussion right here and right now, there's
no way I can keep that light. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to
resist swearing like a drunken sailor. I might shock someone. : )

Celia