homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Barak Obama

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Barak Obama
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:21:51 -0700

On Mar 21, 2008, at 5:05 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

I challenge everyone who thinks Mr. Pretty Speech is the answer to America's
problems to do their homework!

And when you do the homework, you find a lot of his own writings (before and
beyond his Audacity of Hope book [which he named after one of Wright's
speeches]) and you look at the writings and teachings he admires, you find a lot of
'kill the white man' rhetoric.

I'm about halfway through The Audacity of Hope. I have not found any "kill the white man" talk at all. Tell us whose writings and teachings you admire and I bet we can find some bad stuff they have done.

But beyond that, there isn't much. After being hypnotized by the 'he' not
Bush' mantra, people had a void of his real teachings.

I do not hypnotize easily. I am looking at him hard. So far I like him.

By the way, I did not see or hear the speech. I did read the full text. I am very impressed. It said things that needed to be said and that perhaps could only have been said by a black person. I think it will be quoted for a long time.

When the Wright thing
surfaced, it rushed in to fill the void. Wright's teachings then BECOME his
teachings for want of any other.

That is what his opponents want us to believe and focus on.

That attack may backfire. With only a modicum of information so far, it appears to me that Wright has done many good things over many years. His congregation includes a cross-section of Chicago, from poor to rich, from ignorant to highly educated, from guppies to the sophisticated.

Seems to me there is a lot of knee-jerking going on. A lot of people are using the Wright imbroglio just as it was designed by campaign experts and used by bloggers and reporters. We must stop allowing ourselves to be manipulated by those whose paycheck requires that they fill space with information, the more sensational the information the bigger the paycheck.

I'm worried for my country. Seems to me we will stay divided and weak until we learn enough patience, tolerance, and respect to make decisions based on maximal knowledge. With the Internet now providing almost instant information on almost every subject we are easily convinced that we are sophisticated about economics and politics. That is a personal failing multiplied large.

A final thought, folks. I, Gene GeRue, a long-time member of this list, have posted some pretty hateful stuff about the current occupant of the Oval Office. You have all read it. You continue to associate with me. How would you like to be judged as hateful for continuing to associate with me?