homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Barak Obama

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Barak Obama
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:20:11 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

I'm worried for my country. Seems to me we will stay divided and weak
until we learn enough patience, tolerance, and respect to make decisions based on maximal knowledge. With the Internet now providing
almost instant information on almost every subject we are easily convinced that we are sophisticated about economics and politics.
That is a personal failing multiplied large.

I agree to a point. The information at our fingertips is oft suspect,
for one. Two, I think the vast majority of people are so worried and
disillusioned by happenings that they are willing to jump at the first
thing that even LOOKS remotely like a good deal. I think a lot of folks
are almost desperate for change, and then, in walks someone who seems to
be the answer. I personally don't think he is the answer or the savior
or whatever, but I know I am in a minority with that opinion.

A final thought, folks. I, Gene GeRue, a long-time member of this list, have posted some pretty hateful stuff about the current
occupant of the Oval Office. You have all read it. You continue to
associate with me. How would you like to be judged as hateful for
continuing to associate with me?

I associate with you, sure, but I don't claim you as my mentor, my
spiritual advisor, or even the godparent to my children. Even though I
have met you in person, stayed at Heartwood, and talked with you for the
last 15 years, that doesn't make you more than a good friend. In this
country, good friends, or anyone else for that matter, can still have
their opinion. I have disagreed with many comments you have made on a
lot of topics through the years, but I still like you personally and I
don't hold that against you. You, however, are not running for
President of the United States. I think the key word there is UNITED.
People with brash opinions are often divisive by nature. Wright may be
a good person, but his opinions, IMO, are divisive and do not promote
the unity we need in this country. For Obama to venerate Wright, either
in the past or in the present, makes me question him. Like it or not,
we are often judged by the company we keep. For the average Joe, no big
deal, but when one is trying to become the leader of the country, the
UNITED States, then his associations are fair game.
But Gene, I will think no less of you for voting for Obama. I am proud that those on this list care enough to become interested, have an opinion, and vote. That's good enough for me.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky