homestead - [Homestead] Locavorism

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Locavorism
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 11:50:00 -0700

On Mar 9, 2008, at 11:06 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

But I'm guessing that the most
successful promoter of local foods is going to be grim necessity. When that bowl of
summer salad gets to be $12 due to the price of fuel and fertilizer and the
declining dollar, that space between the carport and the curb will begin to look
mighty like a garden spot.

I do hope you are prescient. My gut feeling is that family meal planners will merely buy lower-priced supermarket offerings. I cannot recall having ever bought any, but I presume that iceberg lettuce is less expensive than spinach.

Ironically, "eating beans" in our culture is considered a deprivation, but if more did eat beans, rice and whole wheat and other basic grains and vegetables, America's bulging bellies and burgeoning health bills would shrink.

Habits change slowly. If indeed we are entering times of perfect economic storm conditions, change might, might happen faster than usual. Change is inevitable and will happen. Gradually. As pain intensifies. Alas, least from parents doing productive research, planning and planting.