homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who knows? Only time.

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who knows? Only time.
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:26:13 -0600

The affluent of Austin, TX have afforded Whole Foods to build an 80,000 sf store with three underground stories of parking garage. They are building these all over the world now, and loft developers are vying to have them on their ground floors. Twenty years ago I remember when they were a hole-in-the-wall on 10th and Lamar where my neighbors bantered in their dreadlocks over the store's intercom between art classes at UT. You can get your local carrots there, prewashed, trimmed and packaged for $6, enough for just a snack.

On the flip side, I was recently in Louisiana at a small town Piggly Wiggly and they had a large poster in the window advertising locally grown vegetables. We stopped to talk to the produce manager and he was able to point out the creole tomatoes and sweet potatoes.

I'm happy to see it happening regardless of who gets the message out, whether it starts as a trend or out of necessity. My husband and I rarely miss an opportunity to get the message out where ever we go.

--Sage

Way Out in Texas

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 14:06:13 EDT