homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who knows? Only time.

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who knows? Only time.
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 08:58:08 -0700

On Mar 9, 2008, at 8:22 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Both lessons then. Kingsolver has done much to point the way, AND illustrate
how, as far as local matters are concerned, in SW Virginia one should
consult those hewed from the very rocks rather than imported Yankees.

I don't know how she lives. I don't know how consciously she self- promotes. I do know that to sell books one must do certain things, and promotion is paramount. Many very good books have been written and will be written that you and I never learn about.

Another thought I have is what I alluded to some days back, to resist the impulse to underestimate the power of the affluent. Perhaps, with a professor father and a celebrity author mother, the family naturally travels in a different social place than the salt-of-the-earth locals you describe who don't know they are doing anything special by having a sign out front year-round that advertises home-grown.

So my thought is that locavorism will most likely only become widely accepted and practiced if and when it is promoted by the affluent. Somewhere I have written that we home gardeners eat better than Bill Gates. But imagine if Bill and Melinda started promoting home gardens. I have no doubt the practice would become popular much faster.