homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who knows? Only time.

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who knows? Only time.
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:23:38 -0800

Oh tell me about it! We've got tons of folks around here with hoop houses that grow all year and you can get tons of lovely locally grown organic veggies all year. Although we are semi-transplants (relatives have lived up here since the 1840s), I'm from the next county and was real familiar with all the local everything.

People move in and wring their hands and piss and moan about how far we are from "everything." Well, we do call it "You Can't Get Here From There" <g> but why the heck did they move here if they wanted to be close to "everything"?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Kingslover's Virginia location is Abingdon, twenty miles from here. Her
husband is a prof at Emory, another twenty miles north of there.

The book is very good, but like so many imported people, Kingsolver was too
impressed witht he local grant supported "sustainable" (not!) outfit run by
professional grant-mongers.

Recall that she said they had to rely on strawberry jam during the winter
because there was no local fruit available. Pshaw! If she had just stopped at
the Po' Boy produce stand on Main Street no less, she'd have found bushels of
locally grown apples al winter long. And cheap too, 39 cents a pound.

At best a non-local is only going to know just so much about eating local.