homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hand tools-for firewood

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hand tools-for firewood
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:27:01 -0500

Homesteading is more of a mindset than a location, I do believe, and I intend to start doing what I have procrastinated all of these years waiting for a change in location.
Even with the land possibilities now, I think the homesteadiest place right now for me is the kitchen. I had the joy of sharing with 2 boys yesterday how to take soy nuts and pumpkins, maple syrup, flour and spices and get a pie. It's not important, but satisfying, whether this syrup came from our maple, this pumpkin came from our patch, the eggs from our chickens, what I bartered for these spices or flour.We used modern conveniences to grind the soy but mixed with a whisk by hand so they could feel the texture. What is important, to me, is 2 humans of next generation, without coaching, wanted to save the seeds and meet again next year. Relationship with the planet and with each other is long term to them. That is something many missed in my childhood and part of my Grandmother's homesteading days I choose to reclaim. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Peace,
Kathyann