homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hand tools-for firewood

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hand tools-for firewood
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:40:53 EST

> More likely it was James.

No doubt. Just like something he'd do.

It is reflected in this passage from Thoreau's Walden:

"One says to me, "I wonder that you do not lay up money; you love totravel;
you might take the [railway] cars and go to Fitchburg today and see the
country." But I am wiser than that. I have learned that the swiftest
traveller is he
that goes afoot. I say to my friend, Suppose we try who will get there first.
The distance is thirty miles; the fare ninety cents. That is almost a day's
wages... Well, I start now on foot, and get there before night... You will in
the meanwhile have earned your fare, and arrive there some time tomorrow, or
possibly this evening... And so, if the railroad reached round the world, I
think
that I should keep ahead of you..."

</HTML>