homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hand tools-for firewood

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hand tools-for firewood
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:19:15 -0800

Good for you. DH was clicking through stations on the t.v. last night and stopped for a minute on House Hunters. He hollered for me to come watch "this ditzy broad." She was 26 and looking to buy her first "house" which translated into condo. She's giggling and saying how much she liked the kitchen. Her mother was with her and laughed and said "I don't know why, you don't know how to cook."

We then got into a discussion about how so many people don't cook anymore or even know how. He was amazed that there were now as many girls, as boys, who don't know how to cook, not just don't cook.

It is no wonder the health of Americans is going down the tubes!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "KNat" <knat AT sprintmail.com>

Even with the land possibilities now, I think the homesteadiest place
right now for me is the kitchen. I had the joy of sharing with 2 boys
yesterday how to take soy nuts and pumpkins, maple syrup, flour and
spices and get a pie. It's not important, but satisfying, whether this
syrup came from our maple, this pumpkin came from our patch, the eggs
from our chickens, what I bartered for these spices or flour.We used
modern conveniences to grind the soy but mixed with a whisk by hand so
they could feel the texture. What is important, to me, is 2 humans of
next generation, without coaching, wanted to save the seeds and meet
again next year. Relationship with the planet and with each other is
long term to them. That is something many missed in my childhood and
part of my Grandmother's homesteading days I choose to reclaim. Happy
Thanksgiving all.