homestead - Re: [Homestead] MagicHeat

  • From: "Warren" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] MagicHeat
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:37:33 -0500

> On Nov 20, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Warren wrote:
> >
> > I also wondered about threading a power cord around and up to my
> > flue.

I was unclear here- I didnt mean thread a cord around my flue, I meant
around my hearth and up the wall. Lest someone think I'd ziptie a cord to my
blackpipe!

> I have long wondered if a fan at the top of the flu was not the ideal
> situation for starting draw in a cold flu and also being able to go
> to bed without the potential of waking to a smoky smelling house. I
> never took the time to find fans that could handle the heat.

They do markey these "draft inducing fans". I installed one at a friends
restaurant, on a 12" flue he had over a larg decorative fireplace. It cost
almost 1000.00 five years ago. I think a better solution is and upside down
"Y" connection, whereby you can use any fan to induce air in an upward
direction creating a vacuum between the stove and "Y". A 20.00 bathroom
exhaust fan could be ducted into the "Y" cheaply using metal dryer pipe and
various fittings.

Inducing a draft with newspaper may work for some, but we have damp, still
days where that tactic would only fill my living room with newspaper smoke.

Warren