homestead - Re: [Homestead] MagicHeat

  • From: "Mogrits" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] MagicHeat
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:22:37 -0500

> Warren, I'd be afraid that the flue might have other ideas about what is
> "up", that is, once your induced air is at the crux of the "y",
> it's direction
> depends on the relative pressure above and below that juncture.
> If the air
> movement over the chimney suddenly causes a positive pressure
> there, your fan could
> be blowing smoke into the room.
>
> James

That's possible. The idea is more to induce a draft rather than sustain it.
I may cobble something up in the shop sometime and see what happens.

On the subject of fires... While making shimstock around the firepit at the
local supper club/hunting club meeting, a friend described an interesting
campfire setup. He said he builds a smallish fire and inverts the porcelain
enameled steel tub from a washing machine over the fire. The sides and
bottom are perforated enough to allow oxygen in, and the agitator/shaft hole
allows plenty of room to stoke the fire with wood. The flat enameled surface
will hold a coffee pot or pan, and the steel tub radiates the heat evenly.

A tenant littered their lawn with a decrepit washer- I plan to dismantle it
for the tub and I'll report back with results if anyone is interested. I'm
trying to figure out why one would carry a washing machine tub into the
wild. I guess this is a better solution for a fixed base camp or maybe a
frequently used campsite.

Warren
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:58 PM