homestead - Re: [Homestead] MagicHeat

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] MagicHeat
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:16:56 -0800

A just plain old house we used to rent way back in the dark ages had a fireplace that really produced heat. We used it to heat the livingroom and two downstairs bedrooms (the kitchen and diningroom had their own heat source) It had heat vents in all the upstairs rooms. It didn't seem to build up anymore soot than we'd had in flues for woodstoves.

Haven't a clue how it was done. The house was build in the late 1800s. Whoever built the thing was quite a craftsman. It was in a corner and had a twisted brick chimney. It was huge but very efficient for a fireplace. The house was well over 2,000 sq. ft., a big Queen Ann type farmhouse.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I have zero experience with it. I would expect heat extraction to be
good but chimney soot buildup to possibly increase. The heat-up-the-
chimney dilemma has always been: enough to keep the flue clean but
not waste heat.

Does anyone know how the European design mass masonry heaters manage
to have that super-hot burn and then labyrinthine flu gas passage
without flu buildup? The only thing I can figure is that there is
such complete combustion that there is little left to gunk up the flu.