homestead - Re: [Homestead] MagicHeat

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] MagicHeat
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:41:06 -0700

On Nov 20, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Franklin W. Davis wrote:

Hi Gene...before ya light your wood fire... ball up a bunch of newspaper and put it in your stove...and touch it off... it will preheat your flu so that the draft will be there when ya get your wood goin'...and ya won't smoke yerself out...;-) tip from an Ol'Mainer...;-) Franklin

Yeah, I know that, and have done it many times. I have gotten away from paying for news so don't have near the handy paper that I did years back. I get most of my news today from the Net.

A bigger issue is what happens when a stove or fireplace fire dies down during the night, toward morning. As the fuel wanes down to coals there is a time when you get a bigger load of smoke relative to the heat. At that time, with a timer or a heat sensor, if a very small fan kicked in then all the smoke and incompletely consumed gases would harmlessly go up and out.