homestead - [Homestead] wood stoves

  • From: "Franklin W. Davis" <knarfme AT comcast.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] wood stoves
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:07:45 -0500

Hi jerry b...the wood stove I have is at least ten years old...thats when I
bought it used...don't know how much older it could be. It's called an
All-Nighter. Made out of boiler plate...lined with firebrick...cast iron
door. I would say of medium size...will take a 24" piece of wood. Has a pipe
that runs through the inside...provisions to hook up a blower to it... which
I've done...blows hot air into the basemnt where it's located. Also this year
I've installed an Magic-Heat extractor in the flue pipe...which has a
thermostatically controlled fan...that removes some of the heat that would
otherwise go up the stack. I burn from five to eight cords of
wood...depending on how cold the winter is here in Maine. Have my own wood
lot...mostly hard wood...burn some pine and hemlock also... during the cooler
days. Buy a good used stove...learn how to use it...burn good dry wood...and
to hell with the smoke and particulates...which should not be too bad. Good
luck...and stay warm...Franklin