homestead - Re: [Homestead] wood stoves

  • From: tom <tom AT honeychrome.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wood stoves
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 08:59:29 -0500

We put in one of the new, fancy-pants euro wood stoves that meets epa standards without a cat. It was more expensive than I would've liked to have spent, but I wanted to keep the significant other happy - it has a nice, big window and does a fine job as our sole heat source. Our place is small, and the european stoves tend to be smaller than the American made models and so it was more size/output appropriate. But it has one giant drawback (besides how much it cost)- the box can only accomodate 14" lengths, whereas the American standard is 16". No problem if you harvest and cut all of your own wood, but an issue if you're buying your cords, which are almost always cut to 16".