homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ducks or geese epa rated stove, or 1-35 cheapo cast iron stove

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ducks or geese epa rated stove, or 1-35 cheapo cast iron stove
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:14:46 EST

> If everybody was using the 1-35 stoves, well, real problems. What has
> been your experience and reasoning behind the wood stoves you all use?
> jerry b

All the stoves in the house here are old and/or cheapie. On purpose. The
greener-than-thou stoves with the longer burn time, less wood, less
emissions,
etc. etc. only get that on the best of the best of the best just exactly
seasoned primo hardwood.

Here in the trenches one burns what is available. In my stoves we burn dried
or green, soft wood or hard wood, twigs, limbs, knots, stumps, and everything
in between. In extreme weather or when the fuel isn't the best of the best
of
.... we even put a lump of coal or two to get the fire going.

The result is that we use more wood. We are miles out in the forest and so
if anyone doesn't like the particulates they can go sc**w themselves. But
most of all none of the stoves are airtight and so they draw unlimited
oxygen.
That coupled with the fact that the flues are in the MIDDLE of the house and
so
never get much cold, there are no condensates in the flue. When I clean the
flues after a winter's use, tere is never more than a handful of fine ash,
otherwise the chimneys are as clean as a whistle.

James </HTML>