homestead - Re: [Homestead] epa rated stove, or 1-35 cheapo cast iron stove

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] epa rated stove, or 1-35 cheapo cast iron stove
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:08:20 -0500

When we bought the house, it came with a cast iron stove. It's our only
heat source. I've never seen another one exactly like it-it's bigger
than similarly shaped stoves. We sealed up as many leaks as possible,
and it will run you out of the house. I have a small, less than 1000
square foot home. The stove has no blowers, no fancy stuff at all. I
love it. I do have a CO detector in the room with the stove, just to be
safe, but I've never felt unsafe with it. Here in GA our winters don't
approach those of say, Maine, but you still need heat here in zone 7.
We usually get down to 10 or so in the winter, sometimes colder, with
normal highs in the upper 20's or 30's.
At this point in the year, we are building one fire a day-not continuous
heat, jus to throw off the chill as it is regularly dipping into the
20's at night.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.

  • [Homestead] Ducks or geese, Franklin W. Davis, 11/16/2007
    • Message not available
      • Re: [Homestead] epa rated stove, or 1-35 cheapo cast iron stove, EarthNSky, 11/16/2007