homestead - Re: [Homestead] Morning musing

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Morning musing
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 06:47:32 -0500

Kathyann
(Gene, I think I understand how peaceful people get cranky)

Cranky people have no doubt always been on the scene. Bah, humbug! If crankiness seems more common today it may simply be that in the instant information age all things scary appear more prevalent. Choose your favorite disaster and read all about it. Seems to me that crankiness is a sign of our times. Each generation has perceived unique challenges. Each new era, decade, day, it seems now, finds more to fuss about.

Leaders show the way. Politicians, hired by we taxpayers to take care of our heaviest business and, while supposedly gifted in the art of compromise, take belligerent, unyielding positions and speak in uncivil tones. Talk show hosts speak in language unacceptable yesterday. Bloggers, today's phenomenon, rant and incite; some are simple space wasters, some are serious journalists who research, ponder, and report useful information. All are trying to feel important.

Americans and citizens of other advanced nations have been living high on the hog for at least two generations now. We are loathe to give up our easy, fun lives. Each perceived threat to our decadence makes us a bit more cranky. War, famine, droughts, energy shortages, social injustice, tyrannical rulers, and now, now, sweeping apocalyptic predictions. None of this is new.

We are drawn to disaster as moths to flame. Nostradamus in the 16th century made a good living publishing prophecies, some of which are still believed today. Here are some journal notes: 1-1-2000: Widely predicted disruptions of great magnitude because of computers’ inability to handle the new date. It did not happen. 5-5-2003: Title of a book. Author-predicted planetary alignment catastrophes. It did not happen. 12-21-2012: Mayan predicted apocalypse. Some space experts predict a 50% chance of an asteroid hitting Earth in 2012 and disrupting climate for several years. The European Space Agency predicts 55%. Woo, woo, let's get scared!

Life is uncertain. Those who sense that they are unprepared for change are usually correct. Whether we live with angst or serenity is largely determined by focus. Focus is self-determined. It's a choice.