homestead - Re: [Homestead] Morning musing

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Morning musing
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:09:45 -0500

On 9/22/07, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:
> Ah yes, the brilliance once again of the DOE. Let's put the nuclear waste
> dump right smack dab in the middle of a major earthquake zone. Sheesh, the
> DOE's own facilities out in that region have been damaged by earthquakes.

So... where do you want to put it? Yucca Mountain is in a dry region
that will probably get even drier with global warming, the nuclear
waste will be under tons and tons of earth, and if it's possible to
retrieve it, I suppose we could move it to a safer place.

My favorite spot is a deep ocean trench that's closing. Of course,
then no one would ever be able to get it back, and we may want it some
day. At the very least, though, we ought to be doing some research.

Right now we have hundreds of targets throughout the country that
could leave huge areas of the country uninhabitable for generations.
You like that better? Of course, there's good and bad in everything: I
understand that nature minus humans is doing pretty good in the area
of Ukraine affected by the explosion. Hundreds of children would have
been spared subsequent thyroid cancers had every household been
provided with iodine tablets AND if Soviet political types had
notified affected populations. At least research is being conducted on
what's happening as time passes in the affected area.

Marie