homestead - Re: [Homestead] Morning musing

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Morning musing
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:15:38 -0700

At 9/20/2007, you wrote:
Actually, people do want higher mileage cars. This is one reason why
US car makers are generally in bad shape. In an ideal world, car
makers would figure this out, but for whatever reason -- and I'm
willing to bet it has to do with government subsidies -- they really,
really like to make light trucks and vans. They just haven't figured
out that sales are down because no one wants to buy their output.

It costs about the same to make and deliver any size car. Therefore the greater profit comes from the more expensive cars.

People want higher mileage but do not want real economy. What they really want is a suspension of the laws of physics. If people really wanted economical cars they would be buying Honda Fits and CRVs rather than Civics and Odysseys as just one small example. And they would be driving them 200,000 miles rather than leasing and starting over every two years.

When I bought my pickup, I had a time trying to find a regular cab, short bed with a small V-8 and manual. The dealer lots were and are filled with huge engines, four door, long bed, etc. People are convinced that they need the biggest.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com