homestead - Re: [Homestead] Morning musing

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Morning musing
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:24:46 -0500

On 9/20/07, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> The government can't make petroleum appear in the ground where there is
> none.
> The only way it has of keeping you from $10 a gallon gas is to arrange so
> that you don't have to buy gas .... public transportation.

It can also require car companies to produce higher mpg cars, which is
what people are looking for anyway, and get rid of the tax write off
for SUVs. And it can tax gasoline <gasp> to induce people to drive
less on their own.

All the alternate
> fuels and alternate energy will fall very short of making up the diffefence
> when
> oil goes into decline in earnest. Yet, what is the government doing?
> Pushing ethanol. Alas, energy-wise it takes about a gallon of ethanol to
> make a
> gallon of ethanol. Biodiesel is a little better, but only a little.

I can't say that I disagree much.

> We've just got to stop moving around so much and heating such big houses.

I've kept the house below 60F for the last two winters. Which makes me
suffer in the heat at work, but -- hey -- layers are now fashionable.
At home I wear Carhardts.

Marie