homestead - Re: [Homestead] Morning musing

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Morning musing
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:57:06 -0700

At 9/20/2007, you wrote:
It can also require car companies to produce higher mpg cars, which is
what people are looking for anyway, and get rid of the tax write off
for SUVs. And it can tax gasoline <gasp> to induce people to drive
less on their own.

Why does the government have to do it? This is like the love affair with term limits, something that is entirely within our capabilities but we want someone else to do it. If we as consumers demanded and bought such cars, they would be built. Maybe we should buy the little Honda Fit rather than the huge SUV. My neighbor has two kids but I usually see only her in the Suburban. In many things the government has to remove the greed component such as in health care but in many other things we have the hands on the controls and wallets.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com