homestead - Re: [Homestead] Morning musing

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Morning musing
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:10:15 -0500

On 9/20/07, Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 9/20/2007, you wrote:
> >It can also require car companies to produce higher mpg cars, which is
> >what people are looking for anyway, and get rid of the tax write off
> >for SUVs. And it can tax gasoline <gasp> to induce people to drive
> >less on their own.
>
> Why does the government have to do it? This is like the love affair with
> term limits,

Actually, people do want higher mileage cars. This is one reason why
US car makers are generally in bad shape. In an ideal world, car
makers would figure this out, but for whatever reason -- and I'm
willing to bet it has to do with government subsidies -- they really,
really like to make light trucks and vans. They just haven't figured
out that sales are down because no one wants to buy their output.

Marie