homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:28:31 -0500

Lynn,
I have not done any extensive experiments as to the effectiveness of various varieties. I just put in what the local greenhouse has cheap. I can sometimes get packs with one or two that are not doing so well or "dead cells" at a great discount.

I have squash bug problems also. &@#*! The only remedy I have found for squash bugs is crop rotation (BIG spaces between crops) or only planting squashes once every three years. They are persistent little buggers. They get worse with each consecutive year if I try to plant them every year in the same location. And don't put squash vines in the compost pile. I wish I could find a crop that I could plant in alternate years (or inbetween the squash) that does them in rather than just starving them to death.

Has anyone tried the "Sister" planting system with squash, corn and something planted together in an area that is prone to squash bugs? Maybe this can help there....or maybe not.

Wendy

Wendy; Does any specific type of marigold work better than others? There
are like a million varieties of just dwarf marigolds. I like the look of
flowers in with the veggies, too.

Also, does anyone have a natural remedy for squash bugs and the virus they
apparently carry? They have destroyed ALL my squash, melons, and cucumbers
for 2 years now. I've tried every organic solution I could find, including
picking off eggs...they quickly got ahead of me. I covered my winter
squash with insect row covers, and they did well until I had to take the
covers off for pollination, then they died like the rest.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>