homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:49:56 -0500

On 9/17/07, Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> The one Organic farm I know well sells fresh produce right picked that
> day. It is clean, crisp, and not bug eaten. It is also free from
> pesticides and the ground is fertilized with compost and cover crops.

The farmers at our local farmers' market appear to be going low
chemical input. No one advertises being organic, but many say they
don't use chemical pesticides (as one guy told me, I can't afford
them).

The organic producers who are a problem are the large corporate farms.
They are also the ones who wanted the organic regulations so that they
could sell produce at a premium.

> His stuff is good and he is always looking for something new. He currently
> farms about 150 acres in and around Hollister, CA. I recently helped him
> buy a mid 50s tractor and a water truck.

And so we return to the central theme of older boys with bigger toys.

Marie <running even faster this time>