homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:32:28 -0500

Lynda,
I have found that anywhere I plant marigolds NOTHING bothers. No voles, no bunnies, no deer. If I plant green beans without marigolds, nothing will survive. Something will always crop them to the ground before the beans even come on. Same with green peppers. Without marigolds I find vole diggings throughout. With, not a one. I buy marigold plants already started for this because I want the plants up before the beans do. If you have facilities to start them yourself, it would be a big money saver. I grow in raised beds. I plant the dwarf marigolds about every foot around the edge and a row of giants about every two feet down the middle. Looks cool too.

Wendy

What do you do to keep out the voles? I think we may have a visitor to one
of our lasagna beds. Whomever/whatever has done any damage yet but we have
a couple of piles of thrust up earth and I don't want to wait until they do
some damage.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

A few years ago I decided that with tap root crops, I would only eat
organic ones, since rust fly pesticides actually flood the roots.
Unfortunately here we only recently got farmers markets going, and there
just aren't many local produce growers of any kind. Since they're
wanting a fairly large fee from the farmers to set up a booth, it's
poorly attended. Picture the kettle corn guy, some fruit people, and
the gal selling sourdough. And it's 35 miles away. There's also
another co-op in the city that's always had better o-carrots. But for
an o-carrot for lunch out here in the sticks, the local co-op is still
the closest option. I finally just gave up carrots, back before I had
put in the new beds that enable me to grow them without vole predation.

Bill
S. Oregon coast