homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:59:40 -0700

Lynda wrote:

What do you do to keep out the voles?

I have raised beds with cracked concrete bottoms.

I was told to just plant mole plant. I'm darn sure they won't eat the mole plant, but that won't help me. Personally I find it far fetched to think that hungry rodents accustomed to eating my roots will give up and starve before putting up with a citrusy smell. After all, I've heard so many other things that didn't work for me at all, like the idea that Moles willingly eat chewing gum and keel right over. For one thing, much of our gardening takes place in winter, when there are no marigolds. Fava beans are often planted after the first freeze, and peas or potatoes are seeded before the first transplant would be ready. It's great to see that they _stay_ planted now.

Bill
S. Oregon coast