homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:32:23 -0700

Gene GeRue wrote:

Organic food exposed

Regrettably, in the case of fresh produce the o-word is being used as an excuse to make you take whatever crap they want to give you. Imagine what you'd get if the ONLY thing you asked for in a car was that it be yellow, for instance? And thus it is. The "carrots" being sold at my local bulk bin store must be two years old. Hey, I've raised and kept a carrot or two, with no elaborate humidifiers and such, and I know they keep a long time. My carrots from the most recent harvest are obviously one year younger, on any given day in winter.

Now for another fun carrot scam exposed. Have you seen the little polished pieces of rust fly carrot that they're passing off as "peeled baby carrots" in the store? They polished up, all right, because otherwise they would still have the rust-colored, tunneled out portions still attached. Once again, I kinda know my way 'round a carrot by now, and I've seen exactly what rust fly does. And I also know that chemicals are barely able to stop them, if at all, at great cost paid to professionals. You'll notice that the bag contains little pieces (carrot bottoms) and big pieces (top portions). That's because the rust fly attacks the middle region of the carrot, not too high or too low, leaving two fairly good carrot pieces of disparate size behind after polishing.

As always, the remedy for all scams is simply to grow yer own (wth ag cloth). And that's why we're on this list!

Bill
S. Oregon