homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic claims on trial
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:11:45 -0700

A few years ago I decided that with tap root crops, I would only eat organic ones, since rust fly pesticides actually flood the roots. Unfortunately here we only recently got farmers markets going, and there just aren't many local produce growers of any kind. Since they're wanting a fairly large fee from the farmers to set up a booth, it's poorly attended. Picture the kettle corn guy, some fruit people, and the gal selling sourdough. And it's 35 miles away. There's also another co-op in the city that's always had better o-carrots. But for an o-carrot for lunch out here in the sticks, the local co-op is still the closest option. I finally just gave up carrots, back before I had put in the new beds that enable me to grow them without vole predation.

Bill
S. Oregon coast