homestead - Re: [Homestead] gas prices

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gas prices
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:16:33 -0700

But any alternative fuel that begins to get wider acceptance changes the
dynamics like a giant Rubic's Cube and the very thing that made if feasible often
is moved out of the picture forever.

.... 8< snip .....

Every news discussion of transportation fuel (and that is the big worry of car loving Americans) should have the letters "TANFL" plastered all over the place. There Ain't No Free Lunch.

The Department of Agriculture claims that is all the soybean production in the US were diverted to motor fuel it would provide no more than 6%. If all the corn production were diverted to motor fuel it would provide no more than 24%. If you assume much of the energy input is from natural gas and coal, those figured climb somewhat.

We are lulled into a sense of complacency and high expectations by crude oils very high Energy Returned on Energy Invested. For most oil up to now it has been around 100:1. Modern more expensive fields such as the still unproved Jack in the Gulf approach 10:1. Ethanol is 1.34:1. TANFL

Fuel and its price is dynamic. It's not possible to identify an alternate
fuel at its present cost and imagine that if everyone used it, the price would
stay the same.

The amount of motor fuel used every day in the US is huge. We consumed 9.4052 million barrels of gasoline per day for the week ending 6/1/07. We produced 9.222. We are fixated on motor fuel costs because our very lives are dependent on a steady supply and it is one place where there is a very short feedback look on price fluctuations, sometimes daily. We dream of some magic elixir that will come along and fix everything so we can continue to live just as we are. Hydrogen, bio fuels, something magic still in the labs but it is not to be. For one thing as has been pointed out, it will be very expensive. Your wages will not magically increase to make it as cheap as the 100:1 EREI gasoline. TANFL

The best option I see it to use what we have now to set your self up in a position where you do not have to use motor fuel. How ever that may be, a homestead where you can provide for yourself, a city apartment where everything is in walking distance. TANFL

No matter what, everything will change and everything will be more expensive. That city apartment will have to have everything delivered and not necessarily by an electric powered train or truck. That self sufficient homestead will still need trips to Home Depot for truck delivered plywood. TANFL.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.