homestead - Re: [Homestead] gas prices

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gas prices
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:00:26 -0500

Tanks in the bed of the pickup is another downside. Mine has two tanks, which take up almost half the bed. The tanks are composite material, which is lighter than steel, but also means that one needs to be careful when putting heavy materials like stones or posts in the bed lest one damage a tank.

One could always use a trailer instead, but trailers are not always handy or convenient.

At 09:18 AM 6/6/2007, you wrote:

On Jun 6, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Jerry W. Shepperd wrote:

> I did something small about gas prices this past weekend. I bought a
> 1999 Natural Gas powered pickup, as my 1976 needs major
> transplants. Natural Gas gives about the same power and slightly
> less mileage, but I filled up for $2.149 a gallon. The downside is
> that there are very few places to buy natural gas. I have had it for
> only three days, so it is not much of a test, but so far I am happy
> with it.

I have considered using propane for vehicle fuel. A conversion costs
about $3,000 and the payback period would be long. The tank uses up
cargo space. Let us know how you feel about your natural gas pickup
from time to time, please.
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/shepperd%40austincc.edu

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
-- Confucius

He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.
-- Epictetus

What matters is not what you learn but what you teach.
-- Michael Josephson

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...